Homeostatic Mechanism

10:56 AM

While I'm trying to fix my life by cleaning my desk at home, I had some reflection on the recent decision I made - that is choosing uncertainty over comfort. Uncertainty because I ventured in a totally new work environment where I will be back to zero and be a nobody than the comfort of being a right hand of an official of a very critical government agency. Although "comfort" is an overstatement, the tasks in my current work are no joke and critical but as regards of having the confidence of doing work, I no longer need to prove myself because I have already proven it to my boss. This is where the longing for a new challenge comes in and I wonder if it is a natural trait of a human being. Then I remember the book of Dan Ariely, "The Upside of Irrationality".

One of the chapters of the book tackled the topic "The Meaning of Labor". In this chapter he explores a very debated concept of incentive vs. purpose of work which drives a person  to do his labor. Then I came across the concept of "Homoestatic mechanism", this originates from the concept of Homeostasis which refers to the "ability, present in all living organisms, of continuously maintaining certain functional variables within a range of values compatible with survival." Ariely points out that we all have a "visceral need for goal completion" which explains why we sonetimes choose suffering than comfort. The suffering gives the very purpose of labor - of working for something meaningful. The more harder it took us to finish the tasks, the more positive effect it has in our person.

For me, it all boils down to your motivation, mine is the constant need to learn something new and of getting a piece in every field and trying to see the big picture of my work. I know it can lead to a pitfall, but I can't help myself but to search the infinite abyss. I always feel the need to search for something unknown and to unveil the same, only then can I feel the goal completion.

Anyway, this blogpost is kinda boring, it is just me talking to myself or escaping from the task at hand - cleaning my room. Haha I do hope that my goal to clean the room will be completed. I need some homeostasis right now. :p

Ciao!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flickr Images